So, finally i upgraded my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (or i535 or d2vzw) from CM 10 to CM 10.1.
From my experience with Custom ROMs – they never work the way they should in the first try.
Initially, i upgraded from within my ROM through CM Updater. It upgraded fine but not even a minute after upgrade, services stopped. The first one to go was the Clock. Then went the com.android.phone. I forgot to flash Gapps 4.2 which took me a while to figure out why Google apps won’t work!
After reading a few blogs and comments in forums, i gave it another chance. This time i flashed the CM 10.1 rom via ClockworkMod Recovery. And, i flashed the Gapps 4.2.
Like other times, i wasn’t expecting this installation to work correctly the first time. The phone rebooted and i waited.. completed a couple steps..and waited.. while it tried it best to activate. Waited for 10 minutes patiently. Gave up and powered it down.
Again, i went to the forums to see what was wrong this time. I found out a lot of people had issues with CM 10.1 nightlies. I finally found a solution to the network problems.
Here’s what i did to fix it:
1. Started up the phone.
2. It tried to activate the phone again. After sometime, it gave me an error that the network couldn’t be activated and if i would like to use the WiFi instead.
3. Connected to a Wifi.
4. The phone started just fine. Everything worked except Calls/Text.
5. As mentioned on some of the forums, i took the Sim Card out while the phone was still on. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
6. Inserted the Sim back in.
7. Went to Settings > More > Mobile Networks.
8. Clicked on “CDMA Subscription”.
9. Selected “RUIM/SIM” as option.
10. Went back and it started working. I could not make Calls and send/receive texts.
I restarted the phone just to make sure i don’t lose it again. But, it still worked after restart.
Let me know if it worked for you guys.